Steel Buildings: Cost, Benefits, Features, and Best Companies
Ranging from $4,500 – $46,200 the cost of steel buildings depends on the size of the building. The cost of your building could range from $4,500 for a small steel building to well over $50,000 for a large, industrial-sized steel construction project. For an accurate price, see how much your steel building will cost here.
What are Steel Buildings and What Do They Cost?
Steel buildings are typically used in agricultural and industrial applications, although a wide number of other industries are also adapting them to their use. The benefits of steel buildings are that they are extremely durable, require very little maintenance, and can be erected quickly in any number of custom designs. The cost of steel buildings depends on the size of the building. Costs could range from $3,400 for a small steel building to over $46,200 for a large, industrial-sized steel construction project.
See how much your steel building will cost here.
Steel Buildings Cost by Square Foot:
|Steel Building Size||Square Footage||Average Cost||Cost / Square Foot|
|30×40||1,200 Sq. Ft.||$16,100-$17,367||$12.95|
|30×60||1,800 Sq. Ft.||$22,900-$24,000||$12.90|
|40×60||2,400 Sq. Ft.||$25,300-$26,995||$12.78|
|50×50||2,500 Sq. Ft.||$26,100-$28,922||$10.49|
|50×80||4,000 Sq. Ft.||$42,500-$45,474||$10.60|
|50×100||5,000 Sq. Ft.||$46,300-$47,525||$9.73|
|60×100||6,000 Sq. Ft.||$54,800-$55,000||$9.60|
|80×100||8,000 Sq. Ft.||$73,800-$75,000||$9.46|
|100×100||10,000 Sq. Ft.||$91,999-$96,767||$9.40|
|100×200||20,000 Sq. Ft.||$183,231-$185,000||$9.32|
|150×250||37,500 Sq. Ft.||$344,000-$350,000||$9.24|
Steel Buildings Sample Costs
Below are a few examples of prices for Steel Buildings that will give you an idea of how much you will pay for your purchase.
- Pre-engineered Steel Building’s average cost of $18.88 per Sq ft.
- 12 x 6 Horse barns Cost around $2,800
- 10×10 Steel Storage Building typical cost for $7,500 to $9,650
- 30×50 Building or Workshop average cost $17,400
- 50×100 Steel Building average cost $20,400
- Large 60×80 Insulated Steel Building Complete with Windows Average cost $44,000
Steel buildings have become increasingly popular in recent years, providing a cost-effective, durable, and versatile option for various types of construction projects. This comprehensive guide will cover everything you need to know about steel buildings, including their cost, benefits, features, and the top companies in the industry.
Cost of Steel Buildings
One of the primary advantages of steel buildings is their cost-effectiveness. Although the initial cost may be higher than that of traditional wood or brick structures, the long-term savings can be significant. Factors that influence the cost of steel buildings include:
- Size and design complexity
- Type of steel and coating
- Location and labor costs
- Additional features and customizations
On average, steel buildings can range from $16 to $20 per square foot for basic structures, while more complex designs can cost upwards of $40 per square foot.
Benefits of Steel Buildings
Steel buildings offer several advantages over traditional construction methods, including:
- Durability: Steel is resistant to many common issues that affect other building materials, such as rot, mold, and termites. This results in a longer lifespan for the structure and lower maintenance costs.
- Strength: Steel has a high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for larger clear-span spaces without the need for load-bearing columns. This feature is especially beneficial for commercial and industrial applications.
- Environmental Friendliness: Steel is recyclable and can be sourced from recycled materials, making it a more sustainable option than other building materials.
- Speed of Construction: Pre-engineered steel buildings can be erected quickly, saving time and labor costs.
- Customization: Steel buildings can be easily modified to meet unique design requirements and aesthetic preferences.
Features of Metal Buildings
There are numerous features that make steel buildings an attractive option for various construction projects. Some of these features include:
- Wide range of panel types and finishes
- Energy-efficient insulation options
- Skylights and windows for natural light
- Ventilation systems for climate control
- Customizable door and window openings
When planning your steel building project, be sure to consider your specific needs and requirements to ensure the end result meets your expectations.
Best Steel Building Companies
When it comes to choosing a steel building company, it’s essential to select one that offers high-quality products, excellent customer service, and a solid reputation in the industry. While looking at metal building cost, here are some of the top steel building companies to consider:
- Butler Manufacturing: With over a century of experience, Butler Manufacturing is a leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of commercial metal buildings and well as industrial, and agricultural applications. They offer a wide range of customizable solutions, including the innovative MR-24® standing seam roof system.
- Morton Buildings: Morton Buildings has been in the industry for more than 100 years, specializing in constructing high-quality steel buildings for a variety of uses, including residential, commercial, equestrian, and agricultural. Known for their exceptional craftsmanship and attention to detail, Morton Buildings has a reputation for delivering durable, long-lasting structures.
- Olympia Steel Buildings: Olympia Steel Buildings is a leading supplier of pre-engineered steel buildings, offering custom solutions for commercial, industrial, agricultural, and residential applications. With a focus on quality, affordability, and customer service, Olympia Steel Buildings has earned a strong reputation in the industry.
- American Buildings Company: American Buildings Company has over 70 years of experience in the design, fabrication, and delivery of high-quality steel building systems. They offer a wide range of customizable solutions, from simple structures to complex, multi-story buildings, with a focus on energy efficiency and sustainability.
- Varco Pruden Buildings: Varco Pruden Buildings specializes in the design and manufacture of pre-engineered steel building systems for commercial, industrial, and institutional applications. With a strong emphasis on innovation and design flexibility, Varco Pruden Buildings offers a wide range of products and services to meet the unique needs of their clients.
Choosing the Right Steel Building for Your Needs
With the various options and features available, selecting the right steel building for your specific needs can be a daunting task. Consider the following factors when choosing a steel building:
- Functionality: Determine the primary use of your steel building, such as commercial, industrial, agricultural, or residential. Each of these applications may have specific requirements that will influence your choice of design, size, and features.
- Location and Building Codes: Consider the building codes and regulations for your area, as these can impact the design and construction of your steel building. Work with a reputable company that understands local regulations and can ensure compliance with all relevant codes.
- Climate: The climate in your area can have a significant impact on the design and features of your steel building. Choose a company that offers appropriate insulation, ventilation, and weatherproofing options to ensure your building is energy-efficient and can withstand local weather conditions.
- Budget: Establish a budget for your steel building project and prioritize features based on your specific needs. Keep in mind that while a cheaper option may be tempting, it’s crucial to prioritize quality and durability for long-term savings and performance.
- Customer Support and Warranties: Choose a steel building company that offers excellent customer support and comprehensive warranties to protect your investment and provide peace of mind.
Maintenance Tips for Steel Buildings
Although steel buildings are durable and require minimal maintenance, it’s essential to follow some basic maintenance practices to ensure their longevity and performance. Here are some tips to help you maintain your steel building:
- Regularly inspect the building for any signs of wear, corrosion, or damage. Address any issues as soon as they are identified to prevent further deterioration.
- Clean the exterior surfaces of your steel building at least once a year, or more frequently in areas with high levels of pollution or airborne contaminants. Use a mild detergent and water solution, and avoid using abrasive cleaners that may damage the protective coating.
- Ensure proper ventilation to prevent the buildup of moisture, which can lead to corrosion.
- Regularly inspect and maintain any mechanical systems, such as heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), to ensure optimal performance and energy efficiency.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for any necessary maintenance or repairs and consult with professionals if you are unsure about any aspect of maintaining your steel building.
Steel Building Customization Ideas
One of the advantages of steel buildings is their ability to be customized to fit specific design requirements and aesthetic preferences. Here are some ideas to inspire your steel building customization:
- Add architectural elements, such as decorative trim, canopies, or parapet walls, to enhance the building’s appearance.
- Choose from various exterior finishes and colors to match your brand or surrounding environment.
- Incorporate large windows or skylights to maximize natural light and create a welcoming interior space.
- Design interior spaces with flexible, open floor plans that can be easily adapted to changing needs.
- Consider integrating energy-efficient features, such as solar panels or green roofing, to reduce your building’s environmental footprint and lower utility costs.
- Include custom doors, such as roll-up doors or bi-fold doors, to improve functionality and access for specific uses.
- Invest in landscaping and outdoor areas to enhance the overall aesthetic and create a more inviting environment.
- Use interior design elements, such as decorative lighting, wall treatments, and flooring options, to create a unique and cohesive aesthetic throughout the building.
Future Trends in Steel Buildings
As the construction industry continues to evolve, new trends and technologies are shaping the future of steel buildings. Some of these emerging trends include:
- Increased Use of Prefabricated Components: Prefabrication is becoming more popular in the construction industry, as it offers significant time and cost savings. Steel buildings are well-suited for prefabrication, with components being manufactured off-site and then assembled quickly on-site.
- Advancements in Coating Technologies: New developments in coating technologies are enhancing the durability and performance of steel buildings, providing better protection against corrosion, wear, and environmental factors.
- Smart Building Integration: As smart building technologies become more prevalent, steel buildings can be easily integrated with various systems, such as IoT devices, sensors, and energy management solutions, to optimize building performance and create more efficient, sustainable spaces.
- Green Building Practices: With an increased focus on sustainability, steel buildings offer a more environmentally friendly option, as steel is recyclable and can be sourced from recycled materials. Expect to see more green building practices, such as the use of solar panels, green roofs, and energy-efficient insulation, becoming standard features in steel building design.
- 3D Printing: As 3D printing technology advances, it is expected to play a more prominent role in the construction industry, including the fabrication of steel building components. This technology has the potential to further streamline the construction process, reduce waste, and lower costs.
Find Steel Building Providers Near You and Compare Up To Five Money Saving Quotes
A comparison of some of the top steel building providers will help compare your building options and costs.
Olympia Steel Buildings
Olympia Steel Buildings offers options from basic structures to industrial complexes. The price depends on the size and type of structure. You can customize the building to fit any size needs.
Olympia offers a 40-year warranty on all its structures. They focus on customized building options. They are also BBB accredited.
Morton Buildings offers options for strong-built commercial metal building solutions, residential, farm, and community structures. They have multiple sizes and customization options to choose from. Sizes range from 24×30 to 100×80 for their basic structures.
The prices range can from $29,200 to $75,200 for their smaller structures such as garages. For residential homes, the price starts at $124,000.
They offer up to a 50-year warranty for their structures. Morton Buildings is BBB accredited.
Mueller also offers structures for any need. Their kits start with a standard series with sizes ranging from 24×24 to 40×60. Mueller is BBB accredited.
The price for a standard series kit starts at $4,600. Depending on the size and customization options, the price can go up to $23,000. The kit options for home structures range from $30,000 to $43,000 before customization.
Mueller offers up to a 30-year warranty on their structures. They also offer limited five-year warranties on paint and other custom options.
Freedom Steel offers customizable structures for storage to commercial use. Storage buildings range from 32×42 to 60×85. The commercial and residential options can go up to 72×200 depending on your needs.
The basic smaller structures start at $14,600 to $33, 400 for the basic pre-made structure. Other options depend on custom options. Freedom Steel offers a 25-year warranty on its structures. Freedom Steel is BBB accredited.
VersaTube offers a carport, garage, or barn structure. Sizes range from a 12×10 carport size to 36×72 barn sizes. VersaTube is BBB accredited.
The prices start out at $1,900 for a classic carport style and carports go up to $5,000 for larger ones. For barn structures, the prices range from $1,200 up to $26,000. They also offer a 20-year frame warranty.
MBMI Metal Buildings
MBMI offers structures for any building needs. Their sizes range from 10×15 for basic storage shed to 150×250 for commercial buildings.
The smallest buildings start at $7,900. For larger structures, the price goes up to $208,000 for a pre-made building.
MBMI offers a 40-year warranty for their structures. They are also BBB accredited.
Guide To Buying Metal Buildings
If you’re looking to build a new structure, one of the first questions to ask is what building material to use. Many businesses are moving to steel buildings when it comes time to start a new building project.
Steel is one of the most durable building materials available. It’s also one of the easiest materials to use because you can purchase a prefabricated building to cut down on construction time. When it comes to a building project, these are important considerations.
Of course, the cost of your project is also an important consideration. The cost of purchasing a steel building will depend on many factors but may prove cheaper than building with other materials.
When comparing steel building costs understand that prices are estimates.
The cost of steel buildings may vary depending on the cost of steel at any given time. There are some basic average prices you can consider though.
Why Choose a Steel Building?
While many building projects use wood structures, there are many benefits to choosing steel over wood. Some of the benefits of steel buildings are more obvious than others.
Steel Buildings Save Time
When building with steel, you can purchase a pre-made structure to save time spent on the project. With the basic structure already in place, all you have to do is customize the building to your taste or needs. This means your project can take less than one month to complete.
Steel Buildings Hold Up
One of the biggest dangers to a structure is a natural disaster. With a steel building, you get a structure that can hold up to many of these issues. Also, unlike wood structures, steel won’t rot and break down in the same way.
Steel Buildings Save Money
The durability of steel means less maintenance over time to keep your structure running smoothly. Steel buildings also save money in other ways though.
Because the structure is fire-proof, insurance premiums are less with a steel building. The energy-saving ability of steel buildings is also an important consideration. Over time you can save on utility costs.
Steel Buildings are Easily Updated
With a steel building, you can easily expand if necessary. Adding extra doors or windows is also simpler with a steel building. A steel building is also easy to relocate or even replace if necessary.
Steel Buildings are Eco-Friendly
The production of steel buildings requires less waste material to construct. You can also recycle the steel from a building no longer in use. Both of these considerations are better for the environment.
A steel building doesn’t require the same treatments as a wood building, adding another point in their favor. There’s no need for toxic chemicals to keep a steel structure functional.
How Much Does a Steel Building Cost?
The price of a steel building will depend on many factors. When comparing the cost of steel buildings, you will have to understand your needs for the building to get an accurate quote. Let’s evaluate them:
Types of Steel Buildings
There are several types of steel buildings, each with its own unique features and benefits. Some of the most common types of steel buildings include:
- Steel Frame Buildings: These buildings are constructed using steel frames and are often used for industrial, commercial, and agricultural purposes. They are highly durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions and natural disasters. The lowest prices are generally found in residential buildings or in steel building kits.
- Pre-Engineered Steel Buildings: These buildings are pre-fabricated in a factory and then shipped to the construction site for assembly. They are cost-effective, energy-efficient, and customizable.
- Steel Arch Buildings: These buildings have a unique curved design and are often used for storage or agricultural purposes. They are durable and require minimal maintenance. Custom metal buildings price range varies by steel prices, additional costs, and building designs.
- Steel Church Buildings: These buildings are designed specifically for use as churches or other religious buildings. They can be customized to meet the specific needs of the congregation and can accommodate a range of worship styles.
- Steel Residential Buildings: These buildings are designed for use as homes or other residential properties. They are energy-efficient, durable, and can be customized to meet the specific needs of the homeowner. For the price of your metal building and an accurate total cost please request a quote.
- Hybrid Steel Buildings: These buildings combine steel with other materials, such as wood or concrete, to create a unique and customized structure. They are versatile and can be used for a range of purposes.
Overall, steel buildings are a popular choice for their durability, cost-effectiveness, and versatility, and can be customized to meet the needs of a wide range of industries and applications.
Basic Structure Pricing
While prices vary based on the project, there are some basic structure costs that can help you determine a starting cost.
Keep in mind that customization will affect these prices. The average cost of building a steel structure is $16 to $20.25 per square foot, but with customization, this can cost up to $41 per square foot.
If you start with a basic 5,000-square-foot building, the price is closer to $9.79 per square foot. Larger buildings generally cost less per square foot, so this cost drops as you move up to buildings over 5,000 square feet.
To put this in perspective, a 30×40 building will cost around $11,900 before any modifications. With basic structures, you can predict costs more easily than with customized options.
For instance, a basic garage structure begins around $9,000 for a simple structure. This cost increases with size and customization. A church building will generally run $16 to $41 per square foot depending on your size and modification needs.
Factors that Affect Steel Building Prices
When comparing costs, There are many factors that affect the cost of steel buildings. Besides the size and type of structure you choose, you need to consider your building needs for regulatory and custom needs.
Understand the Regulations for Your Area
When starting a building project, it’s important to understand the codes that regulate how and where you build your structure.
Each state, county, and city have its own regulations for structures. The zoning laws will also depend on whether the structure is a commercial or residential building.
Check your local zoning laws before you begin so you keep your structure within regulation. These codes and zoning laws will affect the type of structure you can purchase. They also affect the pricing for your structure as these laws may affect how the structure is built.
Customization for Your Steel Structure
Average prices for steel structures do not take customization into consideration. The basic structures have a set look, but you may need to change this to fit your needs. Some customizations that affect your price include:
- Number and placement of doors.
- Number and placement of windows.
- Siding options.
- Color choice.
- Insulation needs.
For the most reliable quote on your building project, make sure you have these and any other customization needs in mind. Any changes you make throughout the process will change the prices quoted to you in the beginning.
Other Add On Costs to Consider:
|Material Delivery||add 6-10%|
|Windows, doors etc.||add 7-25%|
|Foundation||add $6/sq ft|
|Construction||add $7/sq ft|
Steel buildings come in many different shapes and sizes- most of which offer the perfect fit for your needs. You can choose between a straight-walled or rigid frame building, with masonry exterior finishes (if desired) that will last through time as well provide aesthetics to match any style. Building materials average $9.23 sq ft per square foot on larger buildings such as 80×100 sizes up to $13/sq ft if you’re looking at something considerably smaller like 30″ x 40″.
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Investing in a Metal Building
Metal buildings have become increasingly popular in recent years, with many investors considering them as a viable option for a variety of purposes. From commercial warehouses and manufacturing plants to residential homes and garages, a good metal structure are versatile and have many benefits. However, there are also some drawbacks to consider before investing in a metal building. Metal building prices and the current price of steel often relate to the benefits as well.
Benefits of Investing in a Metal Building:
- Durability and Longevity: Metal buildings are known for their durability and long life. They can withstand harsh weather conditions such as high winds, heavy rain, and snowstorms, making them ideal for areas with extreme weather patterns. Metal buildings are also resistant to pests, such as termites, and are less prone to mold and mildew growth.
- Low Maintenance: Unlike traditional buildings, metal buildings require minimal maintenance. They do not require painting or re-roofing, and the metal panels used in their construction are easy to clean and maintain. This makes them a cost-effective option in the long run.
- Energy Efficient: Metal buildings are energy-efficient, as they reflect heat from the sun and retain warmth in the winter, reducing the need for heating and cooling systems. This can lead to significant energy savings over time, making metal buildings an eco-friendly option.
- Customizable: Metal buildings are highly customizable and can be tailored to suit specific needs. They come in various shapes and sizes, with different designs and finishes, allowing investors to create a building that meets their exact specifications.
- Cost-effective: Metal buildings are generally less expensive than traditional buildings. This is because they require less labor and materials to construct, making them a cost-effective option for investors on a tight budget.
Drawbacks of Investing in a Metal Building:
- Limited Aesthetics: Although metal buildings can be customized to some extent, they are limited in terms of aesthetics. They are not as visually appealing as traditional buildings and may not be suitable for some investors who value aesthetic appeal.
- Noise: Metal buildings can be noisy, especially during heavy rain or hailstorms. The metal panels used in their construction can amplify noise, which may be a concern for investors who require a quiet environment.
- Condensation: Metal buildings are prone to condensation, which can lead to moisture buildup and corrosion. This can be addressed through proper insulation and ventilation, but it is an additional consideration that investors need to keep in mind.
- Limited Resale Value: Metal buildings have a limited resale value compared to traditional buildings. This is because they are often seen as utilitarian structures and may not have the same level of appeal as a traditional building.
- Permits and Zoning: Obtaining permits and complying with zoning regulations can be challenging when investing in a metal building. Investors need to ensure that their building meets all local regulations and codes before construction begins, which can be a time-consuming and complex process.
Investing in a metal building can be a great option for investors who value durability, low maintenance, and cost-effectiveness. However, it is important to consider the drawbacks, such as limited aesthetics, noise, condensation, limited resale value, and zoning regulations, before making a decision. By weighing both the benefits and drawbacks, investors can determine whether a metal building is the right choice for their specific needs.
Exploring the Cost Benefits of Metal Buildings for Agricultural Use
Metal buildings are becoming increasingly popular for agricultural use due to their cost-effectiveness and durability. Here are some of the cost benefits of metal buildings for agricultural use:
- Lower construction costs: Metal buildings are less expensive to construct compared to traditional building materials like wood or brick. This is because metal buildings are prefabricated and can be easily assembled on-site, which reduces labor costs and construction time.
- Minimal maintenance costs: Metal buildings require minimal maintenance compared to traditional building materials. They are resistant to pests, mold, and weather damage, which means that they don’t need regular repairs or upkeep.
- Energy efficiency: Metal buildings can be designed to be energy-efficient by using insulated metal panels that reduce heat transfer and keep the building cool in hot weather. This can help reduce energy costs associated with cooling and heating the building.
- Long lifespan: Metal buildings are durable and can last for many years with minimal maintenance. This means that agricultural businesses can save money on replacement costs in the long term.
- Flexibility: Metal buildings can be customized to meet the specific needs of agricultural businesses. They can be designed to include features like ventilation systems, insulation, and lighting, which can help improve productivity and reduce operational costs.
- Resale value: Metal buildings have a high resale value, which means that agricultural businesses can recoup some of their investment if they decide to sell the property in the future.
Overall, metal buildings are a cost-effective and durable solution for agricultural businesses. They offer lower construction costs, minimal maintenance costs, energy efficiency, a long lifespan, flexibility, and a high resale value. These benefits make them an attractive option for farmers and ranchers who need a reliable and cost-effective building solution for their operations.
People That Viewed This Page Also Found These Pages Helpful: