Compare Direct Mail Service Prices BUYERS GUIDE 2017
What to Look for in Direct Mail Services
The cost of direct mail services is wide ranging, but in most situations you should expect to pay a minimum of $2000 to launch a campaign, with larger endeavors costing $5000 or more. A direct mail campaign may seem old fashioned to some, but in reality, it is still a proven method for widening your client base and attracting new customers.
When shopping for a direct mail service, consider the talent you have in-house at your own company. If you’ve got great writers and graphic designers on staff, you don’t need external help in order to create an effective direct mail product. On the other hand, if these aren’t areas where your organization is particularly strong, you might want to look for a direct mail company that has staff that can create you original marketing materials based on your specifications.
Compare Direct Mail Service Pricing
Customer service should definitely be at the top of your priority list when dealing with direct mail services. This type of marketing requires some hands-on attention, and you want to make sure that your provider has representatives that are attentive to your company’s needs. Also, making sure that they’re easy to get hold of, even on short notice, is important. Things in the business world can change very quickly and solid customer service can make the difference between effective marketing and mailing out thousands of pamphlets that contain an error.
When you’re shopping for a direct mail service, don’t be afraid to get hands on with the company. Ask them if they can show you samples of their work, or even if they can show you their facility in person. It might seem a bit old fashioned to do a site visit before hiring a company, but this can be one of the best ways to get a feel for how they do business and how they treat their customers.
What you Can Expect to Pay for Direct Mailing Services:
Most direct mail companies will offer you pricing per-piece of mail that you want sent out. The pricing can range from as low as $0.20 to $1.00 or more per piece of mail, with a wide variety of factors playing into the pricing. The size, the color options, the material chosen and any design or layout services provided by the company will all affect the pricing. When choosing your size and weight of material, weigh the impact of the piece against the cost. Increasing the size and weight will also increase the cost of postage, which is the largest individual cost of each single piece that is mailed out.
Also, be aware that most companies will charge some kind of a setup fee to get you started with a new campaign. This is usually a few hundred dollars, and normally only charged once, so if you run the campaign a second time you shouldn’t have to pay the fee again.
- B2C mailing list, the CPM cost ranges between $60 to $200 ($.05 to $.20 per name).
- B2B mailing lists, the CPM is around $175 to $375 ($.175 to $.375 per name).
- If you increase your direct mail order size to 5,000 names (includes mailing list names and addresses, ad copy, postage/mailing, and delivery) is approximately $2,700 to $5,250.
Mailing List Sample Costs
Here are some actual price points from our visitors:
- A New York florists paid $.14 per name for a mailing list of 10,000.
- A Chicago restaurant invested $4,000 for residential lists.
- A Houston Texas firm paid $.18 per name for a business to business mailing list that included contact name.
- A California real estate company paid around $.07 per name for a consumer mail list.
- A Los Angeles business paid $2,800 for 5,000 brochures.
- A Phoenix roofing company paid $1,975 for 5,000 postcards.
Typical Considerations: Cost per items sent per day, turnaround time, tracking options, demographic filters, list accuracy, design offers, tabbing